High Country Legends
Perched 1800m above sea-level, Victoria’s high country plains are steeped in tradition. From indigenous culture to colonial bush rangers and cattle drovers, the high country conjures up history while providing a stunning backdrop for modern day adventures.
The region is also the setting for one of Australia’s most famous and best-loved poems; Banjo Paterson’s “The Man from Snowy River”.
Your high country experience draws on this iconic poem, leaving every guest with an appreciation of what makes it so special to Australians.
While the region is remote and rugged, this itinerary enables guest can experience it at a gentle and relaxed pace.
This high country experience offers:
- horse riding on the trail of wild horses (brumbies).
- mountain biking with altitude (easy scenic trails or more adventurous tracks).
- kayaking on Australia’s highest lake under towering mountain peaks.
- fly fishing pristine streams.
- guided walk across the high plains taking in wild flowers and local fauna.
- lunch comprising an open fit pit grill with slow cooked local organic lamb, pork and heirloom vegetables served with fire pit baked bread and local craft beers and wine.
- a dramatic, fire-side reading of “The Man from Snowy River”.
- luxury camping, swag sleep-out or 4.5 star resort.
Victorian high country; Melbourne
1 to multi day
Low level fitness; skills taught on site